Akbar Rawji, B.Sc., D.D.S., M.Sc. Ortho., F.R.C.D.(C)
“I thoroughly enjoy working and interacting with adolescents and young adults through their formative years, while helping to create a smile for their lifetime. I also enjoy working with adult patients and strive to improve their aesthetics and function, often through a multidisciplinary approach. The details involved with creating the most beautiful smile, the combination of art and medicine, present wonderful challenges every day, and keep me passionate about my work.
“The relationships I develop with my patients are valuable to me. I enjoy learning about their lives, as they speak about their education, personal experiences, activities, and hobbies, while I share some of my life experiences with them. I am constantly amazed at the varied interests and personal achievements of my patients. I am truly blessed to be a part of their lives during this time of personal growth.” – Dr. Akbar Rawji
Education and Commitment to Continuing Education
- Bachelor of Science, University of Toronto
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery, University of Toronto
- General Practice Residency, New York Hospital Queens, NY
- Master of Science, Orthodontics, University of Toronto
- Cleft lip and Palate Craniofacial Fellowship, Sick Kids Hospital, Toronto
Dr. Rawji participates in continuing education courses through multiple orthodontic organizations and study clubs. Doing so allows him to stay on the leading-edge of knowledge and developments in the field, in order to provide his patients with the best care and treatment options available. Previously, Dr. Rawji was a clinical instructor for third and fourth year dental students in the comprehensive care clinic at the College of Dentistry at New York University, and he currently presents a biomechanics seminar to graduate orthodontic students at the University of Toronto. He is also an active member of the multidisciplinary Northern Clinic team with Holland Bloorview.
- Fellow, Royal College of Dentists of Canada
- Canadian Association of Orthodontists
- American Association of Orthodontists
- Ontario Association of Orthodontists
- Ontario Dental Association
- Toronto Orthodontic Study Club
- Previously on staff at Holland Bloorview - 10 years
- Currently on staff at Hospital for Sick Children
- Treasurer of University of Toronto Orthodontic Alumni Association
- Examiner for the Royal College of Dentists of Canada
A native of North York, ON, Dr. Rawji now resides near the neighborhood where he was raised. He’s been married to his wife, Shaina, for almost 18 years, and the couple has been blessed with three lovely children. His family is his highest priority, and Dr. Rawji spends a lot of time participating with his children in their extracurricular activities. The family enjoys outdoor activities and Dr. Rawji plays soccer and hockey.